Art thou pale for weariness of climbing heaven and gazing on the earth, wandering companionless among the stars that have a different birth, and ever changing, like a joyless eye that finds no object worth it's constancy? Thou chosen sister of the Spirit, that gazes on thee til in thee it pities. . . -Shelley (To The Moon)

Monday, August 9, 2010

(weird and silly) Things I Want:




(This is my second entry today, so you can be sure it's raining outside, so you can be sure I'm drinking too much coffee.) In life, I'm inclined to write lists. Once in a while, my lists have an extraordinary or weird aspect. For example, on a grocery list, I will sometimes include an item that I could never afford or even find, like a rare mushroom or champagne. After I made the following silly list in a hurry, my partner picked it up, read it, and we laughed. I love laughter; mine, yours, ours. . .

Above is A Joan Crawford Alphabet by Donald Urquhart and to the right is a movie poster (artist unknown)



Things I want:

not necessarily for myself but wild horses
a solid gold menorah

a mayan monument
a real Picasso that takes up the whole wall
a vintage tiara

one thousand bottles of Veuve Cliquot
to travel at night always
longer days and longer nights sometimes
a deep sea hub
a chartreuse kimono
parallel universes

peace/ all criminals reformed
endless romantic possibilities
a life-sized Jade elephant with sapphire eyes
a cathedral (to record in)
a country church (to write in)
a black Jaguar (car)

a melanistic jaguar
Shirley Temple as a child forever
to be internally composed of stars
to play everything Bach and Mozart ever wrote by memory
to lay an egg painlessly
to fly







3 comments:

  1. A wonderful list. Naturally it prompts me to imagine my own list. Astonishingly it is empty apart from a few entries like /finish my book / get it published / in hardback / by Faber and Faber / before Christmas 2011 / have it be favourably reviewed by some doyen or doyenne of the critical world / sell enough copies to make (say) £50,000 /

    I know, my list is meant to be realistic. But it's all I care about at present. I have everything else I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction: "I know, my list is not meant to be realistic . . . "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh yes. Now I remember, this is one of the things I read that I really enjoyed.

    I particularly like how you differentiated between a black Jag, and a melanistic jaguar. Very nice. And to lay an egg painlessly made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete

Followers